The Borough of Chapman derives its name from William Chapman who was born in 1816 on the battlefield of Waterloo. He came to America in 1842 and began to quarry slate in this area. The Borough was incorporated October 25, 1865 and was the "company town" of Chapman Slate Quarries.
The majority of the skilled slaters came from northern Wales, and Cornwall and Devon in England. The first Chapman Quarries Methodist Church was organized in March 1868 and prospered. That church was razed and the materials were used to build the present church. The Sunday School addition was built in 1963.